Monday, September 21, 2009

Reagan Park TT

After missing the first two rounds of the NEO Power Series, I was able to attend the third and final round held Sunday at Reagan Park in Medina, Ohio. Kevin and the boys do a great job and I hated to miss the races at Manitoc and Vultures Knob but family commitments trumped bike racing.

I was able to get down to Reagan Park for a little pre-ride on Tuesday. I ran into the Mirandas and rode with them for a bit. I then did a very hard 20 minute effort. The course was dry and very fast, except for the 9 million turns. I had a decent week of riding and was confident going into the race on Sunday.

I was the 20th person to start and had Auggie, Brian Lennon and John Proppe (among others) ahead of me with Rodgers and Wilhelm behind me. I could see that I was gaining on a few people when Wilhelm caught me. I planned to try to stay with him, but had my only crash immediately after he went past me. Eventually I caught back up to Auggie and stayed behind him until we came to a clearing. I then caught Lennon and later Proppe when he fell in the woods. I rode behind John for a while as he seemed to be keeping a pretty good pace. When we reached the next clearing, he let me by. From that point I was by myself. I tried to push the pace as best I could. Eventually, I rolled in at 45:11 about 3 mins down on Walker and Twining and about 90 seconds behind Wenger and Cochran.

Next weekend is BA Cross #2 down near Canton on Saturday and OMBC at West Branch SP on Sunday. Decisions, decisions! Trying to gain some fitness for Iceman on November 7th.

No comments: