Monday, August 06, 2007

Wilderness 101

On Saturday morning 250 or so like minded cyclists embarked on 7th annual Wilderness 101, a backcountry 100 mile offroad bike race. For the third consecutive year I was among the starters. In 2005, I finished just inside the top 50 in 9:39, last year I managed to squeeze into the top 30 in 9:17 and this year I was 32nd with a PR of 8:55. The course was dry and fast and the field was stacked with top pros and semi-pros.

I had a very good day, with no cramps and steady energy the entire day. If not for a 15 minute off course excursion (missed a turn) I might have been a little faster. All in all a great day in the woods and a good amount of partying afterward.

I highly recomend this race to anyone that is intrigued by the idea of racing 100 miles offroad. Chris Scott and Jim from Mt. Nittany Wheelworks and their army of volunteers do a GREAT job and can't say enough how much I appreciate this event. I'll be back next year looking to take another 20 or so minutes off my time.

Later,
BRD

No comments: