Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Back on Track

Last night I rode to Westlake with Brent Evans for the Tuesday World Championship Training Crit. It was about 25 miles there and took us about 1.5 hours. I was mostly riding Zone 2 and 3. It rained for the first 1/2 hour then let up. By the time we got to Westlake the course was dry!! The rain held off during the race. The race was 20 laps and the A group had about 17 in the field including Tom Keller from SBR.

The race started out fast with lots of attacks. Eventually, Rudy, Brian Batke and Dick Brink got a gap and later Dave Chernosky bridged up. They established about a 25-30 second gap that they would hold to the finish. Tom and I were in the chase group with Tom doing a good amount of pace setting. With about 10 laps to go, I got dropped when I came out of pedal and dropped my chain. I was lucky not to crash and joined back on with 7 to go and rode in at the back of chase group.

After the race, we donned our lights, warm clothes and headed back to Cleveland Heights. Just as we rolled out, it started to rain and it continued for the entire 25 miles. For the day ended up with 90 miles, 4:30 ride time and average speed of just under 20 mph.

No comments: